Sacred Heart at a Glance
Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart is a Catholic Independent School sponsored by the Society of the Sacred Heart. Founded in 1961, Carrollton is the only all girls’ school educating Montessori-3 through Grade 12 in the State of Florida. Located in Coconut Grove, Florida, it is part of a worldwide network of nearly 150 schools in forty-four countries with 22 schools in the United States.
Carrollton is accredited by the Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS), the Florida Kindergarten Council (FKC), the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), and the Council on Accreditation and School Improvement. It is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the National Catholic Education Association, the International Baccalaureate Organization, and the Network of Sacred Heart Schools in the United States.
Location and Facilities
Carrollton has two campuses: A total of 16 acres.
- Barat Campus: 3747 Main Highway, which houses the Intermediate (Grade 4-6) and High School (Grades 9-12) sits on 11 acres; Pool, Tennis Court, Basketball Court, Softball Field, Track and Field, Sailing Facilities, Technology Center, and Library.
- High School
- Science Technology Hall: Video Conference Center (film video, edit films, sound control room), Physics Lab and Prep Room, Engineering Lab, Chemistry Lab and Prep Room, Biology Lab and Prep Room, Technology Center.
- Founders’ Library: Circulation and Library Office, Reading Room, Student Publication Room, Student Quiet Room, Faculty Study, Archives, Library Reading Alcoves, Information Kiosks
- Intermediate School
- Science Pavilion: 2 teaching science labs and 2 Humanities Classrooms, Bathrooms with pool side showers.
- Duchesne Campus: 3645 Main Highway, which houses the Montessori (ages 3, 4 and Kindergarten), Primary (Grades 1-3), Junior High (Grades 7 & 8), and Wellness Center sits on 6 acres; Pool, Tennis Courts, Basketball Court, Practice Field for Softball, Gymnastics Facilities, Laptop Hospital, Library.
- Junior High
- Rose Hall: 2 Science Labs, 2 Mathematics labs and 4 general use state-of-the-art classrooms.
- Melissa Rodriguez Assembly Meeting Hall
- Wellness Center
- Montessori and Primary
- Each grade is located in grade level cottages
- SMART Boards in all classrooms for grades 1-12; SMART Tables in Montessori Rooms
- Wireless Internet Access
- Average enrollment of students in pre-kindergarten through Grade 12: 800
Carrollton is made up of 5 learning communities:
- Montessori: PK3 through Kindergarten on the Duchesne campus. Enrollment: 80 students in 3 classrooms, with 3, 4, 5 year olds together. One teacher with two assistants
- Primary: Grades 1-3 also on Duchesne. Enrollment: 144; three sections of 16 each 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade
- Intermediate: Grades 4-6 located in El Jardin on Barat Campus. Enrollment: 160; three sections of 4th and 5th, and 4 sections in 6th grades with 16 students in each section.
- Junior High: Grades 7-8 located on the Duchesne Campus. Enrollment: 128; four sections of each with an average of 16 girls in a section
- High School: Grades 9-12 located on Barat Campus in the Barry Building. Enrollment: 300; five sections of 15 students per grade
Carrollton is a diverse community composed of families from many different countries such as Italy, England, France, India, China, Japan, Spain, The Netherlands, Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Nicaragua, Greece, Bermuda, and many more.
- Student/Faculty Ratio: 9:1
- 227 classes offered in the High School during the 2013-2014 academic year. Three World Languages (Mandarin, French and Spanish).
The following AP courses are offered: AP French Language, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP US History, AP US Government, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP English Literature (Grades 10 & 12), AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Biology, AP Physics
The following IB courses are offered:
- English HL
- World Languages Spanish SL/HL & French SL/HL & Mandarin Ab Initio
- History of the Americas/20thC. Topics HL
- Biology SL/HL
- Chemistry SL/HL
- Physics SL
- Mathematics SL, Math Studies SL and Calculus SL (offered as a 2 year sequence with AP Calculus BC in year 2)
- Visual Arts SL/HL
- Drama SL
- Music SL/HL
- Theory of Knowledge
- Information Technology in a Global Society SL/HL
40+ after-school activities available every fall, winter and spring
25-30 clubs and activities available to High School students
Full-time faculty members: 92
Faculty members with advanced degrees: 47% (Masters 44 & PHD 3)
Average teaching experience per faculty member: 14 yrs
100% of faculty participate in professional development workshops and conferences
Tuition 2014 - 2015
Financial Aid: Over $2.5 million in financial aid is distributed annually to approximately 24% of the girls in Montessori-12 who demonstrate financial need.