In its 100 year history, El Jardin has various owner and occupants.
John Bindley, President of Pittsburgh Steel, purchased the property in 1917 and began construction of his palatial winter estate, which he named El Jardin. He passed away at the home in December 1921.
Alfred J. Richey acquired the estate from the Bindley family in 1925 and lived at El Jardin year-round with his young family until 1929. Richey lost the home, and his fortune following Miami's real estate bust in the late 1920s.
Henry Latham Doherty, President of Cities Service Company, purchased El Jardin in 1933 and eventually passed the property to his W. Alton Jones.
Throughout the late 40s and 50s Cities Service Company used the estate as a corporate retreat for its executives as it became part of, first Occidental Oil and later, Citgo.
In 1961 the Society of the Sacred Heart acquired El Jardin to establish Carrollton.